Dog Health 101

I know dogs should not eat chocolate, I think everyone does, but while I was enjoying some white chocolate today I wondered if that was okay for dogs. So onto the trusty GOOGLE (how did we manage without it?) and this is what I found.

Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate?

Most likely you have heard that dark chocolate is extremely dangerous for dogs, but what about white chocolate? Can dogs eat white chocolate?

can-dogs-eat-white-chocolateNo, dogs cannot eat white chocolate! A lot of people believe that it’s okay for dogs to eat white chocolate as it doesn’t have cocoa in it, however that is not true. Most white chocolates still contain small amounts of theobromine, which is the chemical compound that makes the consumption of chocolate highly dangerous for dogs as well as other animals.

It is true, though, that white chocolate is not as dangerous for dogs as dark chocolate, but it’s still dangerous and that’s why it’s highly unadvised to give white chocolate to your dog. The best treat for your dog would still be any high-end commercial dog treat, however if you are looking for alternatives, apple or banana slices would be a great choice. 

In conclusion, as white chocolate is dangerous for dogs to eat, it’s definitely not something you should share with your dog.

* AND THIS *

10 Most Dangerous Foods Your Dog Really Can’t Eat

Many of the foods we eat can be eaten by our canine companions without any ill effects. In fact, there are many foods, such as bananas, that are quite good for your dog. However, there is also a list of foods that have shown to be very toxic to dogs. Some foods may only cause vomiting or diarrhoea while others may cause nerve damage and death. As a dog owner, you need to be well aware of the kinds of foods that could potentially harm your pet.

  1. Alcohol
    Even a small amount of alcohol can be life threatening to dogs. Also, keep in mind that rum cakes and other deserts that contain alcohol can be just as harmful.
  2. Avocados
    While avocados contain persin (a deadly toxin for birds and cattle, dangerous for dogs in large quantities), it’s not the only reason why dogs cannot eat avocado. Dogs also cannot eat avocado because of the seeds. Avocado seeds are large enough to get stuck in the dog’s oesophagus, stomach or intestinal tract.
  3. Chocolate
    Chocolate contains theobromine, which is highly toxic for dogs. While the ingestion of a small amount of chocolate may only cause vomiting and diarrhoea, eating a moderate or large amount of chocolate can elevate your dog’s heart rate, which could cause an abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, and seizures. Such things could also lead to death. (I believe the toxins in chocolate are accumulative and stay in your dog, so even a bit of chocolate once a week can build up the toxin in your dog OR SO I BELIEVE)
  4. Coffee, Tea and Caffeine
    Both coffee and tea contain caffeine, which is extremely dangerous for dogs. It is important to keep your coffee grounds, tea bags, and diet pills containing caffeine out of your dog’s reach as a moderate intake of caffeine could kill a dog.
  5. Fruit Pits and Seeds
    While many fruits, such as apples or pears, are good for a dog in moderate quantities, the pits and seeds of these fruits are extremely dangerous for dogs. The pits and seeds of most fruits contain a toxin called cyanide, which is poisonous to us as well as our dogs.
  6. Grapes and Raisins
    While grapes and raisins are perfectly healthy for humans, they are severely toxic to dogs. Even a few grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.
  7. Macadamia Nuts
    While the exact toxic mechanism in Macadamia nuts is still unknown, we do know that Macadamia nuts are moderately toxic to dogs. Eating Macadamia nuts can affect a dog’s nerve function, and cause severe lethargy, increased body temperature, vomiting, tremors, joint stiffness, and even the inability to walk. Macadamia nuts are definitely something a dog should never eat.
  8. Onions and Garlic
    Both onions and garlic are moderately toxic to dogs. The ingestion of onions or garlic can cause nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, pale gums, elevated heart rate, increased respiratory rate, weakness and exercise intolerance.
  9. Xylitol (an artificial sweetener)                                                                   An artificial sweetener, Xylitol can be severely toxic to dogs, and can cause weakness, lethargy, vomiting, tremors, seizures, jaundice, malaise, black tar-like stool, coma, and even death in dogs. Xylitol is a popular sugar-free artificial sweetener found in gums, mints, puddings, and gelatine snacks. A product is likely to contain xylitol when it is said to be “sugar-free.” It is best to avoid giving your dog such products.
  10. Yeast Dough
    Unbaked yeast dough is considered to be mildly to severely toxic for dogs. It’s important to make sure that your dog never eats unbaked yeast dough as unbaked yeast dough is likely to expand in your dog’s belly resulting in a bloated stomach or even gastric-dilatation volvulus.

Remember that dogs cannot tell what is safe for them to eat and what is not. As a dog owner, it’s your responsibility to make sure that your four-legged best friend doesn’t consume anything dangerous.

And greyhound owners remember, your greyhounds metabolism is different to other dogs, so be EXTRA CAUTIOUS about what your dog eats

 

(From  About Doggies Answers to important dog related questions.)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s